Monday, August 18, 2008

Beijing Olympic Fun

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I last wrote on this blog, but I'm now back in Beijing for the Summer Olympic Games. Several people have asked me what it has been like watching the Olympics in person, so I thought I'd put some of my thoughts online for those interested in reading them.

For starters, it is truly amazing how much of Beijing has changed since I was last here in January 2008. New subway lines have opened, the subway tickets are now sold through automated machines, and of course all of the construction in the Olympic Green (the central location of the games) has been completed. Among other things, I've been entirely blown away by the architecture employed by the Chinese government. By now most people are familiar with the iconoclastic Bird's Nest (the national stadium that to some resembles a gnarled ball of twisted metal) and Water Cube (the aquatic center). The two are placed side by side in the center of the Olympic Green, and are utterly mesmerising to see at night. The Water Cube changes colors frequently and has floating waves projected on its translucent walls. The Cube is easily my favorite, but I must say that I've drastically changed my views on the Bird's Nest after seeing it up close and going inside. Whereas before I thought it looked too avant-garde and convoluted, I now revere the audacity with which its architects, planners, and thousands of workers approached the structure. The stadium looms over its patrons with such largess that it's a little overwhelming at first. Although it has a steely, metallic, and otherwise cold and stiff feeling to it at first, the inside is surprisingly elegant and warm in nature. One of its best features is that it is open-air. At night when one looks up at the Nest and sees the Olympic Flame proudly displayed for all the observe, one can't help but get caught up in the spirit of the moment and feel a sense of wonder and awe.

There's so much more to cover: the security here, the fans from every which place, corner, and cranny of the world, the events, the varying reactions Chinese people have given when asked about the Olympics, and both the good and the bad that I've observed from the tremendous effort the Chinese government has put forth for these summer games. No doubt every possible resource has been poured into the occasion, and from that perspective this Beijing Olympics is unrivaled. But there have been curious and painfully obvious side effects of a Beijing-dictated Olympics, such as the dip in tourism leading up to the games and the strange absence of fans at certain sporting events. It's all enough to remind everyone that these games are, after all, taking place in an authoritarian-led country, however great its economic development in recent years.

More to come soon!

No comments: