It's been a while since my last post... like light years in the Internet age. But I'm here nonetheless with an update on my experiences in Beijing for all you eager readers out there.
My study abroad program ends next Thursday, which I still can't believe is nearly over. It has been an unforgettable ride, this China experience, and a positive one at that. The plan is to stay in Beijing until December 22, when my sister and I jet off to the Philippines! I'm very excited for the trip and to escape the Beijing cold for some beach time. It hasn't snowed here in Beijing and usually doesn't more than a few times in the winter. However, I'll take the warmer weather any day, AND the Filipinos will be in a much more festive mood when it comes to celebrating Christmas. The Philippines is predominantly Roman Catholic, and apparently they get really into the holiday spirit this time of year. It'll be interesting to see how they celebrate compared with back in the United States, so I'll try to throw something up on the blog about that while there.
On the larger scale, Christmas is not a holiday in China. Nearly everyone here knows of "sheng dan jie" (Chinese for Christmas), but far fewer celebrate it. It is true though that both from a religious and commercial prospective the holiday, and Christianity as a whole, are taking a stronger hold in China. Since the 1980s and the reform era far more Chinese have converted to Christianity. If the pace continues China will one day be host of the world's largest Christian population. Even more interesting to consider is the fact that it could one day also be home to the largest Muslim population. I guess that's what happens when a country boasts 1 billion+ people. Commercially, Christmas has a huge influence here, far greater than any I would have ever guessed. Last weekend I went to Wal-Mart (there are 4 of them in Beijing) with my home stay parents, and some of the workers were decked out in Santa hats. On one of the store levels they had a huge Christmas tree with lights, and a huge cardboard sign for people to sign who were feeling the holiday spirit. Pizza Hut, also popular in Beijing, has most of its employees in Santa hats and it too has decorations abound. Granted, I am sighting all places with American roots but it is bizarre to see for the first time nonetheless.
As always, there's so much more to comment on but I have to call it quits for now. Finals and papers coming up, so it be a few days before the next entry. Take care until then, and keep up with the news of the world in the meantime. If anyone has any advice about what to do in the Philippines or what to do in the event of a coup attempt in Manila, let me know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks for keeping us all up-to-date on what's going on in China. The Christmas situation sounds about like in the US. Aren't you missing all this USA crap right about now? On to the Philippines? That sounds exciting! And warm ^_^
Post a Comment