Sunday, October 21, 2007

Even I'm blogging now!


A note to the reader: you are beautiful. Fans (you’re fans, right?) can be hard to come by these days, so I wanted to start with something that would make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. No? Ok, I tried.

I have been in China for nearly two months now, and after repeated requests from a few persistent individuals, I finally relented today and created this blog. I intended to write about my experiences when I first arrived in Beijing, the city where I'm studying abroad. However, as all you busy bees know, certain self-promises can quickly go unfulfilled. Now with nearly two pages of my twelve-page Pizza Hut calendar turned since then (courtesy of my awesome home stay family, more on them later), I’ve decided enough’s enough! I’ve never been one to keep quiet for too long, so the silence is broken!

Honestly, this is my first time commanding a blog of my own so I don’t know where exactly it will go in terms of what I write, though I have ideas. Unquestionably, though, rule number one for me is to write with honesty, open-mindedness (except in cases of China rage, also more on that later), and with the goal of describing as best I can life here in China. I hope to inform, to write of happenings here that are thought-provoking, and of course to make at least one of you laugh out loud while reading one of my recounts (I’m talking a full-on, belly-clutching, jolly laugh. If it happens, email me immediately). As I said before, I know you all have busy lives and that reading what I have to say is not – and should not be - a top priority. However, I appreciate any time you spend here learning about my experiences, and I wholeheartedly encourage each of you to comment, leave suggestions (especially any of you who have been to Beijing before or other parts of China), or even a note to say hi. From time to time I do plan to pose questions that any one of you is welcome and encouraged to answer, so look alive out there!

With nearly sixty days logged in Beijing and other parts of China, it’s hard to pick where to start, so I will simply begin with some of the more recent observations I’ve had of Beijing. Not quite sure how or where this blog lists the most recent post, so all I’ll say from here is please scroll up (or down) to read more about my escapades in Beijing and greater China thus far.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

John Kent,
I´m so impressed! First of all, you're in China, doing well (or so it seems to me), and totally into recounting what's going on where you are. It's interesting and sounds cold currently. I hope you're having fun, though.
-Kathryn Spoelstra